Subject: Re: Question...
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@cs.amherst.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/01/1994 12:10:35

> > Will a 68040 version of MacBSD be available before I buy a PowerPC next
> > year, and when I do, will a PPC version be around?
>
> If you're doing the port, you can answer that question...  I'd love to
> work on either, and will probably do what I can w/o a machine for both.
> However, my financial resources are limited.  If someone wants to loan
> me the hardware, then there might be.  Otherwise, you'll have to wait.
> There's also the issue that Apple isn't exactly forthcoming with hardware
> documentation, and from what I've heard, there are a lot of custom
> ASICs in the PPC machines...  :-(  Also, the hardware is radically
> different in the Mac II and the Q840AV (and the Q800 and friends)...

I've heard that Apple is changing their tune when it comes to the PowerPC.
As I understand it, they are much more liberal with getting developers of
all kinds documentation to the PowerPC chip and the machine that they are
building around it.  I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

By the way, not to be a pest, but how's the IIci/IIsi Internal video
kernel coming?

Still anxiously awaiting...

Scott Kaplan
sfkaplan@cs.amherst.edu