Subject: Re: Logging in?
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Vuorikoski Veikko <vuorikos@butler.cc.tut.fi>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/28/1994 20:37:34
Don't float through life, make Waves! writes:

> Apologies initially, for I are a neophyte UNIX weenie.  I feel proud as
> hell though, for getting it installed and running.  But alas, I cannot for
> the life of me figure out how to log in.  A bit ridiculous, I know.
>
> PASSWD inquires as to my identity @ single-user mode when I try "passwd
> root". ("who are you ??")

 passwd (at least on SunOS) can't be used to change passwords for other users,
and you don't have a username in single-user mode. In single-user, use vipw
to edit the /etc/passwd (or was it /etc/passwd.master or whatever. Someone
correct me if I'm wrong) and remove the root password (nothing in the second field),
then login as root in multi-user (it shouldn't ask for a password) and use passwd
to set a new one.

 I'd think that the default password should be revealed in the docs or something
so it'd be easier to change it.

	-VVuorikoski