Subject: Re: bootflags
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
From: Jim Lynch <jimlynch@netcom.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/25/1994 12:40:04
>> Will this fix the problem reported (by me) two days ago, whereby a
>> Classic Mac running a 68030 accelerator card reported "No 68030 or
>> 68020" during the boot and aborted?
>
>Do you know what Gestalt returns as the processor type for your
>machine?
>
>-allen
>
>--
>Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
>- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
>      killing -
>allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****

Remember that gestalt can be made to report whatever is desired. Therefore,
the accelerator card's software should install a gestalt callback or
whatever it is.

However, anyone could install one just as well. Maybe an init...

But wait: are all INITs unloaded when the boot process happens? Does this
mean that no special hardware can be detected since any gestalt callbacks
installed at normal boot time get unloaded and/or never get reloaded when
MacBSD boots?

Wotta catch-22...

-Jim

P.S: pls email (by CC: or whatever; I signed off the list. I'll sign back
on when I'm ready to install.)