Subject: Emacs 19.22 now available for MacBSD.
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Edward Wolpert <wolpert@neon.chem.utk.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/23/1994 08:23:25
Netters-
	Thanks to Rod Morehead (rmore@netcom.com) emacs is now available for
MacBSD.  For somereason, I couldn't get emacs to read the lisp files
properly.  Rod Morehead has put his working version of emacs (v 19.22) on
neon.chem.utk.edu.  Currently, it can be found in /pub/MacBSD.  The following
are the size listings (total 10MB compressed, about 20 uncompressed.)

-rw-rw-rw-   1 ftp      anonymous 823843 Feb 23 01:03 emacsbin.tar.gz
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ftp      anonymous  10240 Feb 23 01:03 emacsdir.tar
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ftp      anonymous1078142 Feb 23 01:06 emacsetc.tar.gz
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ftp      anonymous   2157 Feb 23 08:09 emacsinstall.txt
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ftp      anonymous3166165 Feb 23 08:06 emacslisp.19.22.tar.gz
-rw-rw-rw-   1 ftp      anonymous  56386 Feb 23 01:06 emacsm68k-hp-bsd.tar.gz

All of these files are from Rod, except for emacslisp.19.22.tar.gz.  That
file contains the lisp sources from a working version of lisp. (I.E. not from
my version which I couldn't get to work)  You may need to gunzip it first,
before using tar.  Get the emacsinstall.txt file first, since that explans
how to install it into your computer.  If the lisp file causes people
problems, I'll create a non-gziped version (10MB!) for folks.  I have not yet
tried out the software, so I can't be sure as to it's condition.  Please
direct any comments as to problems installing it to Rod.  For people not
familar with emacs, you may not want to deal with it.  Also, it's not for
people with small swap space.  (At _least_ 8MB is suggested by me if you plan
to use it for developement.  I would think 20MB is better though.)

	Since 50% of the space is from the lisp files, I will (soon) create a
tar file containing only the necessary lisp files for running emacs, and
programming.  You prob don't want to use gnus for reading news, since it can
easily take tons of space.  Trn is much better.  (also available on neon)

	If you have problems, please send me a note saying "X doesn't work."
But remember to make sure you download them in binary mode.

		Virtually,
		Edward Wolpert

wolpert@utk.edu            | System Administrator
wolpert@osti.slip.utk.edu  | Systems Programmer
pa153568@utkvm1.utk.edu	   | Graduate Chemistry Student
I'm  sorry, but Godot isn't here today. Perhaps if you came back tomorrow...