Subject: Re: thanks!... and more questions
To: Albert A. Martin <Al.Martin@Eng.Sun.COM>
From: Michael Finch <finchm@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/23/1994 01:07:04
Some very techinical talk and bad jokes follow, you were warned.

Albert A. Martin
> Comments:
> 1. Extremely touchy: don't EVER move that mouse!
>    (Has this been addressed?)
At one point this was in the FAQ with the comment "Stop laughing!"

> 2. /usr/share/man/ls.core probably should be removed from the tar file.
Do, ta do ta do (its funnier if you whistle it.)

> Questions:
> 1. How do you enable the kernel debugger?
>    (What do I enter in the "bootflags" box?)
>    What boot flags are available?  (During my experimentation, I tried
>    setting bootflags=255, and the the boot died, thinking it was a
>    "Macintosh (Pentium)")!
The kernel debugger has a hot key (something like control-flower-d),
but its practically useless, since ADB needs to be polled (and we
all know how painful that can be) and key strokes are really hard
to get.  ONCE, I was able to use the debugger after a panic to get
a stack trace and then exited (syncing the filesystem), BUT it took
a long time.  You'll have to keep hitting keys and backspacing when
it throws a "Qber" when you typed "s".  Brad's working on this,
but he recently lost his spleen while trying to save a kitten.  As
for the pentium thing, well, thats simple, the machine type and
processor are passed in the flags structure, if you mess with that
you are asking for trouble.  Its so people can pass new things into
the kernel for testing.  I think that Larry's new parameter passing
code makes the flags obselete.

> 2. Is "plain vanilla" gcc used to compile the binaries?  Since my
>    current hard disk space is limited, my idea is to run gcc on a
>    Sun, cross-compiled to a 68k target.  Is this feasible?
Damn feasible.  Quite possible also.

> 3. How do you create tar files that the installer can read?
>    From a Sun workstation, I tried creating with "tar" then "mcvert"
>    but the installer didn't like something about the files in the tar.
>    What I'm trying to do is, from a Sun workstation (here, at work)
>    create an installer file containing selected files from /usr/share.
"tar", plain old tar.  It must be a text file though.

> 4. How do you add partitions?
>    (mkfs and then what?  Which partitions correspond to which SCSI IDs?)

Add partitions with your favorite disk partitioning program.  MKFS
them (under macos or NetBSD) if they are to be UFS filesystems.
As for which partitions correspond to with SCSI ids, good question.
In the old code  the first USR (or root& usr) went into A, swap is
B, and the second user is G.  In the new code, that remains except
that other usr and swap partitions go into D E F & H.  So now you
know where the partitions are, now you just have to find out which
disk.  Sort your drives in numerical sequence (ex, drives 1, 3, 4,
5).  Now find the root drive, the root drive (the one you're booting
from) (ex 4), now sd0 is drive 1, sd1 is 3, sd2 is 4 and sd3 is 5.
Now, at some poing in the boot sequence, sd0 and sd2 get swapped
(depending on the kernel that you own). SIMPLE!  Some people refuse
to make sd0 always be drive 0 and sd5 always be drive 5, because
they insist that will mess things up if we ever try to support
multiple scsi busses.  So everytime you add or remove a drive from
your chain your sd devices move.  Hey, I don't make the rules, I
just follow them.

> 5. How do I change the name and IP address of my machine?
>    ("kitten" is cute, but not to my tastes.)
I hate the damn things as well.  Emisaries (sp) of satan i've always
said.  Allen calls his machine "kitten" in order to pick up women.
Brad breaks his spleen, Allen's way is better.  Neither way helps
you change your IP address.

-Mike

--
finchm@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu 	| The world would be so much nicer, if