Subject: Re: Perhaps a FAQ, but...
To: Dj Padzensky <djpadz@uci.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/14/1994 10:46:02
> Seems to me that the listserv software (if that's what they're using)
> does support welcome messages for individual mailing lists.  Couldn't the
> FAQ be stuck in there?

We use 'majordomo'.  it supports 'welcome messages', but the welcome
messages consist of:
	(1) "you've subscribed"
	(2) info on how to unsubscribe
	(3) the "info" for the group (i.e. what majordomo would say to
		an 'info' command about the list)

You could put the FAQ in the info command for the list, but that's bad
because people wanting random info about the list would get a possibly
huge FAQ.  also, it screws people getting 'info' for all of the lists,
for the obvious reason.  also, it's a bit of a maintenance headache,
and it's somewhat unfriendly to drop a large piece of mail into
somebody's mailbox w/o an explicit request for it...

chris