Subject: Re: Telnet from MacBSD over SLIP
To: Bruce A. Mah <bmah@tenet.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/28/1994 10:26:04
> Allen Briggs writes:
>
> >> telnet: setsockopt (IP_TOS) (ignored): Invalid argument
> >>
> >> Does anyone know that these mean?  they don't seem to have any effect.
>
> > I think that's just 'cause the kernel is well ahead of user-land, and
> > the programs are attempting to set an option that no longer is available
> > in the networking system.
>
> Well, I think it's kind of the other way around.

your thinking is incorrect; the NetBSD kernel (and, in fact, all
Net/2 derived kernels) has all of the appropriate sockopts.

The problem is that the *numbering* on the sockopts has changed
twice recently.  The first time, the sockopt numbers were moved
up, because LBL's implementation of multicast (and the implementation
for 4.4BSD and the patches for BSD/386, because they originated at
LBL) had them there.

The second time, Mike Karels convinced CSRG to renumber the
non-multicast sockopts back to their original numbers.  To be
compatible, i changed the appropriate numbers back to what they
were.

This is a consequence of running software that's on the
"bleeding profusely" edge...

cgd