Subject: Re: Ethernet card support in MacBSD
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: John L. Coolidge <coolidge@apple.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/24/1994 11:24:45
>Also if my memory serves correctly, the Apple Ethernet NB handles raw ethernet
>packets while the Apple EtherTalk NB handles EtherTalk packets only, and has
>to use the EtherTalk driver for MacTCP to receive TCP/IP packets encapsulated
>in AppleTalk packets, while the Ethernet NB can receive either raw IP or
>encapsulated IP packets.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I have machines with both types of Apple
ethernet cards in my office and all of them can use raw MacTCP. I don't
believe any of our ethernet hardware does any special detection of
EtherTalk packets, although I could be wrong.

Note: the ethernet controller on the "smart" EtherTalk card (the one with a
68K that requires A/ROSE) is the same chip as Quadra onboard ethernet (of
course, the Quadras don't have the 68K for Ethernet, but then it can be
turned off on the card, too :-)).

--John