Subject: Cross-compilation (was Re: 68040 jive)
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/23/1994 23:01:00
In servalan.mailinglist.macbsd Brad Grantham writes:
>If you're interested in trying to make the kernel 68040-compatible, keep
>an eye out for the MacMiNT and MachTen compile toolkits that we are working
>on.  Those should allow you to compile MacBSD on your Mac xxxxx (if we have
>enough time to finish them).

Hmm.  I'm sort of curious to see what all's involved in setting up a cross-
compilation environment good enough to build MacBSD on another OS; I'd like
to set things up so that I could cross-compile kernels and random binaries
under A/UX and move them over to the MacBSD partition.  What all does one need
to build for such a cross-compile environment?  Here's my current best guess
of the pieces I need from the NetBSD source tree:
	gas
	gcc
	include
	make
	share/mk (the data files for the new BSD make)
	ld
	config.new (for building kernels)
Oh, and I'll probably need the libc.a and libgcc.a binaries from the
Alpha-2 files...

Is there anything obvious I'm leaving out here?  (If so, I'll probably find
it sooner or later, but I'd like to hear from other people who've set up or who
are working on such a cross-compile environment, if anyone has yet.) Right now
I've got most of the aforementioned source downloaded onto A/UX, and am
starting in on make (since all the other tools need the new make; fortunately,
make does come with an old-style makefile so you can make make.)

--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu        rmtodd@servalan.uucp
	  New Improved Domain: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com