Subject: Re: Ethernet card support in MacBSD
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Dave Slotter <tdslotte@king.mcs.drexel.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/23/1994 21:11:19
futoshi writes:

[text deleted for brevity]

> Apple Ethernet NB has 68k cpu on the card, but Apple Ethertalk
> NB(this one has AUI and BNC connector) doesn't. I think Asante
> cards are compatible with Apple Ethertalk NB card. Am I wrong?
> I'm using my Asante's card with Apple's driver on MacOS:-)

If you're using the Apple drivers with the Asante card, it sounds compatible
to me. ;) My Farallon EtherMac card for the 030 PDS also works with the Apple
drivers.

Also if my memory serves correctly, the Apple Ethernet NB handles raw ethernet
packets while the Apple EtherTalk NB handles EtherTalk packets only, and has
to use the EtherTalk driver for MacTCP to receive TCP/IP packets encapsulated
in AppleTalk packets, while the Ethernet NB can receive either raw IP or
encapsulated IP packets.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

-Dave