Subject: Re: Running on SE/30; now what?
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <paik@mlo.dec.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/15/1994 18:03:54
  After spending four hours installing Alpha2 and the latest kernel on
  my SE/30, I managed to get it running by booting in single-user
  mode.  I tried some simple commands, then found that I couldn't do
  much because I had a read-only file system!!  How did this happen to
  me?  How do I fix it?

Here is the procedure I pulled from earlier messages.

  a) boot in single user mode
  b) /sbin/mount -u /
  c) edit /etc/master_passwd to include accounts you want--you probably
     want to null out the root password
  d) /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p /etc/passwd
  e) Ctrl-D to multiuser

hmmm.  I vagely recall that perhaps step d) should be
/usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master_passwd

Some other notes.

  f) touch /var/log/maillog /var/log/lpd-errs /var/cron/log
  g) put a machine name in /etc/myname
  h) /usr/bin/gzexe is misconfigured to look for gzip in /usr/local/bin

I'm not really up on system management with post 4.3 systems, probably
I'll shell out for the nutshell books on sysadministration.  Does
anyone have any other reading material suggestions?

Sam Paik