Subject: Re: You know, this has potential for some great games...
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Adam Lang <thalen@cs.pdx.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/11/1994 00:39:47
>I was talking with a PC afecionado the other day, and we both agreed that
>the reason there are much better games on the PC is that the PC lets you
>get right at the hardware and do whatever you want with it, whereas the
>Macintosh forces you do do a waltz with the system software and it does
>nasty things to you if you step on its feet.
>
>"Hmmmmm," says I.  "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm."
>
>I would *love* to see some technical writeups -- or, better yet, code
>libraries! -- from the ALICE team that would help people write games that
>have direct access to the hardware.  The 040 could easily step on the 486
>when it's not saddled with a windowing system!

Well, uh, yeah.  But since each Mac has such different hardware, it'd be a
hell of a lot of work to get the thing running on more than one Mac at a
time... probably noticably more work than getting it running on 386/486
with different video cards et al.

Further, I would guess that Apple DOES release this sort of information to
their developers (under nondisclosure agreements), so...

--Adam

---------
Adam Lang   thalen@cs.pdx.edu  (axl119@psu.edu, thalen@eecs.cs.pdx.edu)
LAP Technologies  100-1 Cherry Ln, State College, Pa 16802  (814) 867-7138
'There are people who reshape the world by force or argument, but the cat
just lies there, dozing, and the world quietly reshapes itself to suit his
comfort and convenience.'          -- Allen and Ivy Dodd