Subject: You know, this has potential for some great games...
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Brian Kendig <bskendig@netcom.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/10/1994 12:08:03
I was talking with a PC afecionado the other day, and we both agreed that
the reason there are much better games on the PC is that the PC lets you
get right at the hardware and do whatever you want with it, whereas the
Macintosh forces you do do a waltz with the system software and it does
nasty things to you if you step on its feet.

"Hmmmmm," says I.  "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm."

I would *love* to see some technical writeups -- or, better yet, code
libraries! -- from the ALICE team that would help people write games that
have direct access to the hardware.  The 040 could easily step on the 486
when it's not saddled with a windowing system!

The only thing that's prevented projects like that in the past is that
nobody's dared to circumvent the System.  But the ALICE team has already
done that!  Is there any chance that you guys could just pull together a
smattering of source code that wipes the system software out of RAM and
does some simple stuff with video (like grids or moire patterns)?

Talk about "beating the System"!

--
_/_/_/  Brian Kendig                              Je ne suis fait comme aucun
/_/_/  bskendig@netcom.com                 de ceux que j'ai vus; j'ose croire