Subject: Re: Apple information...
To: Dave Slotter <tdslotte@king.mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Anita Holmgren <anita@tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/09/1994 18:30:14
At  3:35 AM 1/8/94 -0500, Dave Slotter wrote:
>Robert Hagopian <rhagopia@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu> writes:

>> ... Apple has stopped development of A/UX... (there have been
>> no new versions in any recent history, I believe the last gave support to
>> the 950 or such... way back when...)..

>Actually, I run A/UX 3.0.2 on my IIsi and it was released about 7 months ago.
>...In addition, Apple just issued a press release on A/UX 3.1 within the last
>week.

Apple may be upgrading existing versions of A/UX, but Apple has said that
they are not putting A/UX on any new machines.  So no A/UX on the
PowerBooks, the AV machines, etc.

>..In addition, it is
>rumored that there will be an A/UX / AIX hybrid operating system available for
>the PowerPC Macintosh systems available later this year. (Sounds real scary,
>though--ever see AIX?  Makes me sick to the stomach that IBM dares call it
>Unix!)

Actually PowerPC Unix will only be based on AIX (Apple has said this as
well).  Further, the AIX-based PowerPC Unix will not run on all the
PowerPCs, only on server PowerPCs.

I admit to not having seen the latest Press Release on A/UX 3.1....but I
don't expect that it will invalidate anything I have said.

Of course, I'm not exactly impartial. :-)

-Anita Holmgren

Tenon Intersystems                           Phone: 805-963-6983
1123 Chapala Street                          FAX: 805-962-8202
Santa Barbara, CA 93101                      info@tenon.com