Subject: Re: Apple information...
To: Dave Slotter <>
From: Anita Holmgren <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/09/1994 18:30:14
At  3:35 AM 1/8/94 -0500, Dave Slotter wrote:
>Robert Hagopian <> writes:

>> ... Apple has stopped development of A/UX... (there have been
>> no new versions in any recent history, I believe the last gave support to
>> the 950 or such... way back when...)..

>Actually, I run A/UX 3.0.2 on my IIsi and it was released about 7 months ago.
>...In addition, Apple just issued a press release on A/UX 3.1 within the last

Apple may be upgrading existing versions of A/UX, but Apple has said that
they are not putting A/UX on any new machines.  So no A/UX on the
PowerBooks, the AV machines, etc.

>..In addition, it is
>rumored that there will be an A/UX / AIX hybrid operating system available for
>the PowerPC Macintosh systems available later this year. (Sounds real scary,
>though--ever see AIX?  Makes me sick to the stomach that IBM dares call it

Actually PowerPC Unix will only be based on AIX (Apple has said this as
well).  Further, the AIX-based PowerPC Unix will not run on all the
PowerPCs, only on server PowerPCs.

I admit to not having seen the latest Press Release on A/UX 3.1....but I
don't expect that it will invalidate anything I have said.

Of course, I'm not exactly impartial. :-)

-Anita Holmgren

Tenon Intersystems                           Phone: 805-963-6983
1123 Chapala Street                          FAX: 805-962-8202
Santa Barbara, CA 93101