Subject: Re: Apple information...
To: Dave Slotter <tdslotte@king.mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Robert Hagopian <rhagopia@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/08/1994 18:57:42
On Sat, 8 Jan 1994, Dave Slotter wrote:
> Actually, I run A/UX 3.0.2 on my IIsi and it was released about 7 months ago.
> In addition, Apple just issued a press release on A/UX 3.1 within the last
> week. I can provide you a copy of it on request.  So, if it is understood
> that my information is incorrect, you are making assumptions on Apple based
> on incorrect (or out-of-date) information. However, I would agree if someone
> made the statement that Apple's development on A/UX has been somewhat
> disappointing, because they run on a very old version of System V with
> extensions from the newer versions of System V and BSD extensions.
>
> If you use correct information in your argument on this, I'd be willing to
> consider their validity.  However, it appears to me that the very heart of
> your argument depends on the validity of the statement that Apple has no
> interest in providing an Unix operating system for the Macintosh.  First, you
> can still purchase A/UX and they have upgraded it to version 3.1 and
> distributed a press release within the last week.  In addition, it is
> rumored that there will be an A/UX / AIX hybrid operating system available for
> the PowerPC Macintosh systems available later this year. (Sounds real scary,
> though--ever see AIX?  Makes me sick to the stomach that IBM dares call it
> Unix!)

How interesting, the last I heard was that Apple was practically
discontinuing development of A/UX... Have they said which machines it
will run on? Yes, that was basically my assumption all along, and if A/UX
IS still going to be developed, then yes, voom, there goes my idea too :-)
(and could you send me a copy of the release if conveinant?)

> Enough of my babbling. It's early in the morning and it's way past my bedtime.

All the better :-)

> > Ditto, if you guys want to port it to the Duo 230, I'd be happy to ship
> > it off... (and it's lighter than a IIsi... :-) )
>
> Trying to get the last word in, huh? ;)
>
> Even though it's heavier, I *can* run A/UX on it!

Doh! But you can't run A/UX on a Plane... :-) (plus mine has dedicated
VRAM, so I think it's a closer candidate than teh IIsi... but mabye
                    -Rob Hagopian