Subject: Problem with mkfs
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Keith Scott <kscott@descartes.EE.UCLA.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/08/1994 12:58:35
	Hi, I am trying to get NetBSD running on:

	IIci
	video card
	plenty of RAM
	Quantum internal HD with three partitions (id 0)
	DataFrame XP60 external HD (id 1; dataframe disc SCSI ids can
					be set from their software)

	I would like to put unix on the DataFrame.  I partitioned it
for a swap and a root/usr partition plus a few megs of Apple
filesystem.

	The problem is that mkfs won't run, even if I reboot with all
inits off in B&W.  It starts up, gives the 'console inited' message
and some sort of splash screen, then hangs when scanning the SCSI bus.
I get (seven?) 'inquiry #X' messages in quick succession but only SCSI
0 shows up as an active radio button and even that doesn't do much
good, since the machine hangs at this point.  The OK and Cancel
buttons don't work and I can't even recover using MacsBug or
cmd-opt-esc so I have to reboot.
	When I disconnect the external drive I note that the 'inquiry
#X' messages show up more slowly and the buttons work (well, at least
cancel does).  The same problems seem to occur with the install
utility, with the exception that when I ran it with the external drive
disconnected, it would recognize only the first partition of the
internal drive.
	I remember reading here recently about a problem with querying
SCSI id 0 multiple times for something else, could that be the problem
here?

			thanks for any advice you can give
			and keep up the good work!

				--keith