Subject: None
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Adam Lang <thalen@cs.pdx.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/08/1994 12:16:36
>Apple is boycotted because it sued Microsoft and HP, claiming that
>its copyright on various aspects of its user interface give it
>the right to prevent MS, HP, and others from implementing similar
>user interfaces -- even if they use no code whatsoever that is
>copyrighted by Apple.

Maybe I'm just naive, but if someone took a book that I wrote, studied it
minutely, copied the plot (making absolutely sure that they didn't copy any
of the actual text) as closely as they possibly could given the
circumstances, and then published their own copy, which then went on to
outsell my book X to one, where X is an unreasonably high number, I'd be
pissed too.

Out of curiosity, have FSF and LPF set any actions by Apple that will make
them review their decision, or have they just decided to hate Apple
forevermore?

Anyway, to strike a note slightly relevant to the situation: who is
currently working on the Quadra port, if anyone?

--Adam Lang

---------
Adam Lang   thalen@cs.pdx.edu  (axl119@psu.edu, thalen@eecs.cs.pdx.edu)
LAP Technologies  100-1 Cherry Ln, State College, Pa 16802  (814) 867-7138
'There are people who reshape the world by force or argument, but the cat
just lies there, dozing, and the world quietly reshapes itself to suit his
comfort and convenience.'          -- Allen and Ivy Dodd