Subject: Re: macbsd port
To: Real Artificial Leather-like Brad Grantham <grantham@netcom.com>
From: Bill Johnston <johnston@me.udel.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/07/1994 18:06:34
> Our understanding is that A/UX does NOT in fact use the Toolbox ...

A/UX does use the Toolbox for all sorts of things in its Finder
emulation.  It just doesn't use the Toolbox for driver-level
stuff that talks to hardware;  these get trapped and re-routed
to the appropriate kernel-level driver calls.

I'm not that familiar with the Toolbox, but it doesn't provide
drivers, either, does it?  It just provides a uniform interface
to the drivers, which are necessarily different on different
hardware.  That's not so different than unix ...

>                     Zon Williams MacMach runs on the toolbox,
> but he had extensive help from Apple.

And after giving it several years of his life, what does he have?
Answer:  NOTHING.

Don't look to Apple for help, here.  The best you'll get is help
that perverts your own goals, sort of like the "help" that the
oil companies have given to solar energy companies over the years.

Bill

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@me.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers Street; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949