Subject: Re: Apple information...
To: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@cs.amherst.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ncd.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/07/1994 15:07:52
> but they might be interested to know that, by having a free
> distribution BSD on my Mac, I will be able to get much more use out of
> my IIci, and be much happier about the idea of buying an Apple machine
> in the future.

Sadly, there's zero chance of this.   Apple doesn't care about
customer bases as small as the community of people who want to run
both Unix and MacOS.   A/UX exists to satisfy the Federal Information
Processing Standard (FIPS) requirements.   They're more likely to give
you the information out of the kindness of their hearts than because
you want to run Unix.

Nonetheless, if somebody feels like pursuing this, it's probably worth
a try - it's entirely possible that the reason they're keeping the
chip spec secret is just that nobody has ever reviewed the internal
spec to make sure no trade secret information gets revealed and no
unwarranted warrantees are made.  This certainly happened all the time
when I was at DEC.   If a Corporate Consulting Engineer could be
convinced to review the document and declare it harmless, it would be
released.

Amazing, huh?

			       _MelloN_