Subject: MacBSD Alpha2 installation questions...
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Scott Seaton <sseaton@iise.csiro.au>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/21/1993 12:30:08
Well, I've downloaded the latest Alpha2 tar files and installed them,
copied the netbsd-current across (the one from saturday), booted MacBSD
into single user mode. Then I went on and:
/sbin/umount -a >/dev/null 2>&1
/sbin/mount -a -t nonfs (this made the partition read/write)
mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.orig
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/NSW /etc/localtime
cp /usr/share/misc/termcap /etc/termcap
mkdir /tmp
chmod 777 /tmp
mkdir /u

But I can't change the root password...
If I try:
# passwd root
I get an error (this is from memory)
! who are you ? (or something close)

But
# whoami
returns:
root

What am I doing wrong ?

Is there a document anywhere that outlines the differences between SunOS
4.1.X and NetBSD 4.3 ? (Up till now SunOS was the only variant of Un*x
that I have had much exposure to....)

I also tried to partition my hard drive so that I could mount a separate
user partition on /u and the installer then refused to mount "/",it kept
on complaining about sd0g. How do I partition my drive so that I can use
/u ? This is using Apple HD Setup and the APS software.)

I'm using an SE/30 with the original Apple 80 Meg hard drive for MacBSD:
1st partition: 44 MB A/UX Root & Usr
2nd     "    : 16 MB A/UX Swap

And I'd like to add:
3rd partition: 20 MB A/UX User

Full marks to the MacBSD people, the above are only slight annoyances
compared to having a FREE Un*x on my Mac. I just wish that I could help,
but one of the reasons I'm setting up MacBSD is so that I can teach
myself C....

Does anyone have any idea when X11 support will be available ? Even if
only in monochrome ?

Thanks
Scott
|    | | | |  |  | |       PO Box 93, North Ryde, NSW, Australia 2113.    |
|    | | | |  |__  |_      Phone: +61 2 887 8170  Fax: +61 2 887 2736     |
|    | | | |     | |       E-mail: sseaton@iise.CSIRO.AU                  |