Subject: Re: Running macbsd on LCIII
To: Adam Lang <thalen@cs.pdx.edu>
From: Allen X Briggs <briggs@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/16/1993 23:31:54
> What puzzles me is why someone would buy a mac who was more interested in
> running unix.

Well...  In my case, the school that I go to "requires" a student to buy
a Unix platform for the CS program.  In 1987, 1988, and 1989, this was a
macintosh II running A/UX.  In '90 and '91, it was an Amiga 3000 running
AMIX (ugh) and these last two years, it's been a DECStation 5000/2{0,5}.
How the bids are filled is based on support/price/configuration/etc....

In any case, BSD looked much more interesting than A/UX ('cause I like to
dink), I had a machine capable of running Unix, and I didn't want to have
two (or more) computers running amok in my house when one should be
sufficient for my needs.  The mac is great for my non-software development
needs.

> Since that costs less than Mach Ten, which, BTW, is from my experience a
> very nice piece of equipment.

I haven't seen MachTen, but it has looked intriguing...

Allen Briggs         Find the cost of freedom / Buried in the ground
- end                Mother Earth will swallow you / Lay your body down
      killing -
allen.briggs@vt.edu          ***** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac *****