Subject: Re: Colour Classic ?
To: None <macbsd-general@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Eric Johnson <EJOHNSON@lepton.imsa.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/13/1993 22:45:32
>Not that I know of.  It would be interesting to know how far it gets,
>though.  Do you know, off-hand, how it differs from the SE/30 (other
>than addition of colour and subtraction of FPU ;-)?

The SE/30 was a raw 68030, loaded with FPU (I think) and a full 32 bit data
path.  It really flew, and it only had to drive a small screen, so it seemed
even better?

The Color Classic is based on the LC/LCII idea.  It only has a 16 bit data
path to ram as well as all other I/O.  This cripples an otherwise speedy
processor, but only requires you to add SIMMs 2 at a time, and make the
Mother board design MUCH cheaper.  The main reason that the LCIII rocks is
that it has a 32 bit data path (and a 25 Mhz CPU).  If you can get it to run
on an LCII, it will likely run on the Color Classic.

     -ENJ

Eric N. Johnson
ejohnson@imsa.edu (Primary)
ejohnson@lepton.imsa.edu (backup and list server mail)