Subject: Re: Slip and Install
To: None <ejohnson@imsa.edu>
From: Allen X Briggs <briggs@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/17/1993 11:22:26
> What do I need to do to set up a slip connection to my MacBSD mac?  I have a
> row of other UNIX boxes from which I can grab a serial port, at least a few
> of which have slattach.  What does it take to make the serial ports and get
> them running as a net link?

Use GENERIC.48.
mknod /dev/ser0 c 12 0
mknod /dev/ser1 c 12 1
(I think 12 is right...)

Look at the man pages on slattach, etc...

> Also, how much difference does the optimize for time, or optimize for space
> option make?  Are we talking about major differences here or just a few
> percent?  I notice that it switches part way through the instalation as
> well.

I don't know what the savings are.  The preference you give it is useful
as an indicator for the filesystem code, but it will get overridden if
the filesystem wants to :-)  As it does when it starts to fragment too
much or run low on space...

Allen Briggs         \ My eyes have seen you/Free from disguise
briggs@csugrad.cs.vt.edu | Gazing on a city under/Television skies.
- end                / My eyes have seen you/Let them photograph your soul
      killing -  / Memorize your alleys/On an endless roll. -- The Doors