Subject: Re: MacBSD Installer patch, and Futura MX problem
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 08/13/1995 16:16:45
> > > How can I make an archive to be installed with the Installer?
> > > It doesn't accept either 'X.11Mar95.tgz' nor tar + gzipped files
> > > I made.  How did you create 'base.tar.gz' etc?
> >
> > With tar and gzip under NetBSD.
>
> Or "gtar czf output_file_name.tgz stuff_to_tar" where output_file_name
> is the archives name, .tgz is convention, and stuff_to_tar is the normal
> stuff to tar. The `z' makes the archive be compressed with gzip.
>
> Under NetBSD, you can just say 'tar' instead of 'gtar' as they are the
> same.

Or, you can do what the Makefile in the distrib directories do, use pax.
I've also had problems getting the installer to take gzip'd .tar files,
but the following has worked every time:

   pax -w -X /etc | gzip > ~/myetc.tgz

(I use this to keep copies of the various customizations, just in case I
trash my hard disk - happens once a month on average!)