Subject: Re: netbsd.IIvx7 - source
To: Chris Kush <csk@asgard.eecs.nwu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 07/11/1995 10:08:43
> 	I would like to know:
>
> 	Has anyone gotten X to work yet on IIvx?  I'm interested in it from
> primarily an experimental standpoint right now.  I'm toying right now with
> whether to memory-upgrade and accelerate this bastard; if I could do X, that
> would be an incentive.

I don't know, but I think that X is unhappy at the moment. The new
graphics driver seems to be sufficiently different that X broke. But
it should be a minor fix, then it will all work again. :-)

> 	Can I get the source code for netbsd.IIvx7?  Ideally, it would be
> neat if I could download the source tree, and someone (probably allen) could
> mail me or tell me where to get the importantly different files.

Ooo! Ooo! I can answer this one! (having downloaded the source many times
in the last week :-) ).

ftp to ftp.netbsd.org
cd /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src
bin
get sys.tar.gz
quit

Beware, though:
-rw-r--r--    1 0         5627872 Jul  8 07:24 sys.tar.gz

Since I have only a modem on my mac at home, I don't slip or
ppp it to my mac. If you have Ether, ignore this & just ftp it. :-)

I ftp this file to our RS/6000 at work and then break it into chunks
using the split command. I don't know the NetBSD syntax, but in
AIX, there is a -b # option which splits into files of # bytes each.
Something like:

split -b 1450000 -a 1 sys.tar.gz sys

which will make sysa, sysb, sysc, sysd, syse. Each file will be
1450000 bytes each, nearly filling a 1.4 MB DOS floppy. You might
adjust the byte size.

[Question for the audience: what's the right syntax for NetBSD?
 My only BSD box at work is an ULTRIX box, and it doesn't support
 the -b option.]

I then write the chunks to a DOS floppy & take them home. Next I
use Access PC to read the floppies (PC Exchange or whatever would be
fine) to a mac partition.

At this point, if you don't have hfs (a cool mac-partiton reader),
use the installer to cpin the pieces. Or boot and use hfs to find the
files & cp them. I like hfs a lot as it lets you roam the Mac file
hierarchy.

The last step is to "cat sys[a-e] sys.tgz". (the sus[a-e] expands
  to "sysa sysb sysc sysd syse")

Now just cd to where you want your src directory (usually /usr)
and "tar xzf /whereever/youput/sys.tgz". tar tzf will show the files
first. You'll now have lots of stuff in src/sys/.

To compile, cd to src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/
and run "config GENERIC" (assuming /usr/sbin/config is older than
about April 28 or so). Next cd ../compile/GENERIC and
"make depend && make". A few hours later, you'll have a bright
and shiny netbsd which you can copy to /. Oh, my advice is to
copy it to something other than your working kernel's name. In
case it gets sick. :-)

Hope this helps!

[Question to whomever is doing documentation: would you like to
put this in the new docs? It might be becoming a faq.]

> Thanky!

You're welcome!

Bill