Subject: Re: X won't run on current kernel
To: Paul R. Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 07/05/1995 23:01:36
> On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Ken Nakata wrote:
> > # startx
> >
> > Couldn't map SCREEN 0.
> > Fatal server error:
> > Invalid argument
> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> > #
>
> it also reports the "invalid argument" (right before clearing the screen
> - really hard to notice it!) and then just completely hangs the machine.

I used screen to catch the message... who thought of running X in
a screen session? ;-)

BTW, dt doesn't completely hang the machine.  You can type a couple of
returns (because you can't see what's on the screen), type ^d, and
you're out of it. (oh, don't forget running dt with "-n 1" option...
without it, you would have to switch virtual terminal with
command-{1,2}...)

X is running happily again with Allen's patch.  Cool :-)
Thanks Allen!

Ken