Subject: ADBIOC_LISTENCMD
To: None <macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 06/22/1995 16:56:06
Hi,

ioctl ADBIOC_LISTENCMD to /dev/adb isn't implemented yet, is it?

I just got myself a Logitech TrackMan, and found that it returns
3-byte status instead of 2-byte one, when responding to Talk Reg 0
command, *if* its handler ID is 4.  In that case, it returns each of
three button status in each MSB (hence 3-byte status), in a similar
manner to the standard mouse (0 = down, 1 = up).

I found this out when MacBSD somehow left the handler ID untouched
(that happened to be 4) in reinitialization, with my small ADB event
monitoring program that runs on MacBSD.

I patched adb.c to probe the second and third bytes' MSBs for the
center and right button status, but the handler ID always gets
reinitialized to 1 (= standard 100dpi mouse) each time I boot MacBSD.

If I can get MacBSD to reinitialize the handler ID to 4, then I can
get all 3 button to work under X :-)  The only problem is "how I
set the TrackMan's handler ID to 4" ....

Any help appreciated... (isn't it a good thing that we have a working
three-button mouse under MacBSD? ;-)

Ken