Subject: Re: experiences, disk partitioning?
To: None <kevin@spef.syr.ge.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 06/15/1995 13:57:24
> > The problem is that we grab the first 8 partitions from the disk and
> > then assign them based on the info that we find on the filesystem type
> > stored in the parition info.  If the partition you want is right after
> > 'b' on the disk, then please let me know what filesystem type you used
> > to set it up and with which formatting program.  You can send it just to
> > me, no need to send that to the whole list.  ;-)
>
> [ ... ]
>
> The partion table tells one how many partions (total) there are.
> -  Why not use this number to search for possible partions?
> -  Why are HFS files even included in the sd[0-7][a-h] list?
> -  If you want to mount these file systems, why not have them show up
>       as hfs[0-7][a-h]?

Err, uh, better yet, why not use the MacOS partition table as a
possible 'seed' disklabel, then write a 'real' BSD disklabel to the
'root' BSD partition, and use what _IT_ says for partition name <->
location mapping...

that way:
	(1) people can have whichever partitions they want point to
		whatever areas of the disk they want them to point to.
		(with the exception of 'c'...  8-)
	(2) it (eventually, when the need for backward compatibility
		expires) removes a whole bunch of convoluted code from
		the kernel, and moves it into a user-land program
		(e.g. a 'macdiskpart'), the thing that generates the
		'seed' disklabel...  (in the mean time, that code
		would still be in the kernel, but run only as 'compat'
		code, and therefore hopefully less frequently...

Actually, i think Allen said at one point that he was going to
implement this, eventually...  8-)

chris