Subject: Re: Source for SCSI driver info?
To: David C. Myers <myers@acec.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 05/03/1995 09:42:13
> Can anyone point me to technical information on the 5380 SCSI chip, and how
> to write drivers for it?

You can try talking to Symbios Logic (the current owners of what used to
be NCR microelectronics)...  The Atari port of NetBSD has a driver that
looks rather nice--I was thinking about porting it to the mac.  I don't
know if it has Linux origins or not.  If so, it apparently isn't
copylefted.

You can also get information from AMD as they have several clones of
the NCR scsi chips.  NCR's old documentation has at least part of a
driver written in 6502 assembly code--for a scsi target device, I think.

I'll have to take a look at the Linux driver.  If it really is good
and portable and we can get it to work on the macs under NetBSD, then
perhaps the author can be convinced to contribute it as non-copylefted
code (assuming it is copylefted, now ;-).

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **