Subject: Source for SCSI driver info?
To: None <macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David C. Myers <myers@acec.com>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 05/03/1995 08:42:55
Can anyone point me to technical information on the 5380 SCSI chip, and how
to write drivers for it?  I need implementation details.  Books, papers,
articles, ftp-able archives, anything -- it doesn't matter. Though I'm no
UNIX device driver expert by any means, my personal goal is to come to some
understanding of SCSI, and perhaps rewrite a driver or two.

Also, has anyone seen the "generic" 5380 driver written by Drew Eckhardt
for the Linux project?  It makes the following claim:

"This is a generic 5380 driver.  To use it on a different platform, one
simply writes appropriate system specific macros (ie, data transfer -- some
PCs will use the I/O bus, 68Ks must use memory mapped) and drops this file
in their 'C' wrapper."

Drew's driver seems pretty complete, with multiple message queues, real and
pseudo DMA, scatter/gather (whatever that means), and so on.  He
specifically mentions a Mac port of Linux as one of his portability goals.

Thanks for any info.

-David.

David C. Myers                                            myers@acec.com
Sales Engineer
American Computer & Electronics

               "I'm only ten and I've already got two mortal enemies..."
                                                          - Bart Simpson