Subject: Re: Kernel re-compiles
To: Kip Walker <kwalker+@cmu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 04/01/1995 08:36:54
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995 09:41:19 -0500 (EST)
 Kip Walker <kwalker+@CMU.EDU> wrote:

 > Why does a make of the kernel ALWAYS rebuild everything?  can I make
 > it not do that?  It would be MUCH cooler if just what I changed got
 > recompiled.

However, if you've changed header file, anything that includes it (either
directly or indirectly) *should* be recompiled.  Many things also depend
on the Makefile, since it passes many preprocessor directives.

'Course, by it's very nature, recompiling a kernel always compiles at
least N+1 files, where N is the number of files modified; vers.c is
always updated.

It may seem like gross overkill, and quite annoying on a slow machine
(like my Sun 3/50, for example), but it's definitely more `correct'.

Ciao.

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939