Subject: Re: Status update...
To: John D. Smerdon <jds@smerdon.plymouth.mi.us>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 03/23/1995 19:54:26
> I am spending every hour looking at via.c and machdep.c trying to figure
> out why the ethernet is not working.

Try the kernel with the changes I just checked in today (should be
available tomorrow with some luck)...  If your sup gets new versions
of via.c, if_ae.c, via.h, and grf.c, then you should be in good shape.

> On my system (SE/30), ethernet doesn't work at all with a current kernel.
> It did work pretty good with the kernel Brad Parker had.

How do you mean, "doesn't work at all?"  It gives you "ae0: device timeout,"
or it seems to just not be there at all?

> Last night I went shopping for the Hardware Reference 2nd Edition.
> Couldn't find it.  Guess I will have to order it.  Does that have lotsa
> good information about the hardware and interrupts?

Yeah...  I think I had to order my copy from Addison-Wesley--either that
one or the "Designing Cards and Drivers, 3rd ed."  Both books have a lot
of information, but they certainly aren't as specific as I'd like about
the things I'd like to know.  :-(  They usually say, "Use the toolbox
routine" or "programmers should not attempt to access the hardware
directly" right about where I want them to give me more detail...  In
the case of slot interrupts, C&D talks about the Slot Manager calls :-(

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **