Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: None <macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/22/1995 22:38:00
In servalan.mailinglist.macbsd-dev Chris Demetriou writes:
>Even if that's not possible, it seems to me that one should be able to
>set a NetBSD/mac68k entry in the Mac "disklabel", and then define all
>of the NetBSD/mac68k partitions _INSIDE_ of it, via a NetBSD
>disklabel...  In my opinion (which doesn't really count for much, on
>this issue, and i'm not willing to write the code 8-) this would be
>better than having lots of Mac partitions, and splitting a NetBSD
>across them...

One *could* do this, but in my opinion, it'd be a significant lose.
It complicates the partition scheme significantly, and to no good end.
As it stands now, I can use (and am using) the exact same swap partitions
for A/UX and NetBSD/mac, and can even mount (read-only) A/UX
partitions from NetBSD/mac.

The BSD-partitions-inside-a-single-DOS-partition setup was forced on the
i386 folks because the native DOS partition scheme was too braindead to
support what the BSD folks wanted.  Those of us whose native platforms have
more sane partition table schemes, with functionality equal or superior to
that of the BSD disklabel format (I believe both the Mac and Amiga fall into
that category), see little reason for such kludges.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu        rmtodd@servalan.uucp
	  New Improved Domain: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com