Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/22/1995 20:59:30
> The "PC" derived systems operate within a subset of
> the DOS partitions. We operate within the Apple partitions.

Actually, your statement about the PC systems isn't correct:

NetBSD/i386 can run within a PC BIOS partition, or can be the only
system on the disk (in which case it doesn't really supply a real BIOS
partition table, just sort-of fakes one up at the right place in the
boot block).

it'd be _really_ nice if one could run NetBSD/mac68k without a MacOS
partition, and run it on the 'whole disk' with a faked up Mac
"disklabel," and using a BSD disklabel for partitioning-related things.

Even if that's not possible, it seems to me that one should be able to
set a NetBSD/mac68k entry in the Mac "disklabel", and then define all
of the NetBSD/mac68k partitions _INSIDE_ of it, via a NetBSD
disklabel...  In my opinion (which doesn't really count for much, on
this issue, and i'm not willing to write the code 8-) this would be
better than having lots of Mac partitions, and splitting a NetBSD
across them...

chris