Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/21/1995 09:47:28
> I think that that IS the point! Partitioning, as opposed to file system
> creation within the partition, is NOT something that we can do with "off
> the shelf" Un*x programs. There are no standards. Real Unix systems take
> over the entire disk. The "PC" derived systems operate within a subset of
> the DOS partitions. We operate within the Apple partitions.
>
> Let's leave partitioning out of the "install" problem.  The documentation
> will instruct the user to create the appropriate partitions with standard
> off-the-shelf Mac Utility programs.

I haven't seen any argument to the contrary.  I suggested that we might
want to have a partitioning function somewhere in our software (BSD or
Mac program) that can handle the Apple partitioning.  Why?  Because the
A/UX partitioning utility has saved me a few times when different MacOS
tools hosed my partition tables.  There's never been any question
whether or not to use the Apple partitions--as far as I know.  We can
use disklabel for some stuff, and I'd like to make it fully functional
at some point, but that's a low priority since virtually all MacBSD
users will have MacOS partitions and use MacOS for at least some
things.

> Somewhere in our stuff (and I am purposely avoiding being specific), we
> will initialize the appropriate file system within each partition and cause
> files to be installed within that file system.

Of course.  Deciding where is the purpose of this thread, isn't it?
Hmmm.  I haven't seen any new ideas on that recently, so maybe it's
time to make a call on what to do.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **