Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: None <briggs@mail.vt.edu>
From: Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/20/1995 19:27:55
>I don't know how we got talking about the actual partitioning
>software.  We can't override Apple's paritition maps w/o making
>ourselves incompatible with the MacOS.  Not a good idea.  I also
>don't like *BSD/i386's (and just about every other i386/unix)
>policy of making a seperate raw parition and repartitioning that.

>Am I missing the point of this particular thread?

I think that that IS the point! Partitioning, as opposed to file system
creation within the partition, is NOT something that we can do with "off
the shelf" Un*x programs. There are no standards. Real Unix systems take
over the entire disk. The "PC" derived systems operate within a subset of
the DOS partitions. We operate within the Apple partitions.

Let's leave partitioning out of the "install" problem.  The documentation
will instruct the user to create the appropriate partitions with standard
off-the-shelf Mac Utility programs.

Somewhere in our stuff (and I am purposely avoiding being specific), we
will initialize the appropriate file system within each partition and cause
files to be installed within that file system.