Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Leonard <leonard@dstc.edu.au>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/20/1995 10:36:51
> 2) I see a problem with "the various media available." I live in a campus
> dorm. We're _suposed_ to get Ethernet this year, but they've been saying that
> for years. I'm on LocalTalk, so my IP connection goes away when I stop
> running MacOS; thus I'll need all the files to be local, in a Mac partition.
> Also, as I understand it, MacBSD can't read MacOS partitions. From what I know
> of the Mac filesystem, it would be best left to MacOS to read from it.

[Caution: Vapourware alert below]

In modifying the serial driver, a lot of the specs for zilogs chips include
discussions on Appletalk drivers. Allen Briggs has mentioned that he'd like to
have a go at such a driver in netbsd/mac68k... So, in the future, you might be
able to ifconfig at0 and mount disks across an appletalk network. You
have heard of AUFS and stuff like that I expect. Perhaps this will become a
way of installing macbsd?

David Leonard                            DSTC Student Vacation Programmer
The University of Queensland             leonard@dstc.edu.au
http://www.dstc.edu.au/public/staff/david-leonard.html