Subject: Re: More on Mac-side stuff
To: None <macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG, briggs@mail.vt.edu>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 01/19/1995 19:24:32
Hello,

	Warning-1: I know zero about Macintoshes
	Warning-2: Possibly stupid point follows ...

Several things ...

o	Regarding a set of underlying and portable tools that
	allow a user to manipulate a populated but unmounted
	file system directly.

	I think these are needed any way.  (I *want* them :-).
	For instance I would like to be able to:
		o	build a populated file system from a
			a directory and list of files.  (Look
			at MINIX's mkfs/mkproto)
		o	copy in/copy out/move/remove files
			(look at mtools for the dos equivalent)
		o	fix file systems (fsck)
		o	a unzip/untar/copyin program
			Hmm, not so easy ....
	without needing to perform a mount.

	With respect to testing.  As was mentioned, it is
	standard pratice to point such tools at a raw file and let
	them rip (on UNIX this is easy, Under a Mac, I don't
	know).

o	What if a mac app

	(Um, stupid point?)  If a MacApp, can the same program be used
	to `install' UN*X on a PowerMac?  (If that is ever written?).

o	Build/debug environment

	Always wondered.  Are you able to build the UN*X tree under
	MacOS?  I've always assumed you could.

Just some comments ..

			Andrew