Subject: Re: Stupid Question
To: Ken Nakata <kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/14/1994 18:57:21
>    [...] the kernel _should_ try to find out whether or not
>    an FPU is present, and then do the save/restore of the FP context
>    based on that.  the FP context save/restore is the only place in the
>    kernel that uses FP.  I take it that that's not currently done?
>    [...]
>
> I don't know if it's done in 1.0 or not, but it wasn't in 0.9.

It is not.  I've thought about doing it--it shouldn't be too hard...

> I think it'd be easier that Booter determins whether or not an FPU is
> available, than that the kernel does it.

I'd rather avoid this because of SoftFPU and the fact that I don't
_want_ to keep adding things to the list of "the booter passes it in."
If we can figure it out, we should, partly because the MacOS can lie.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac **