Subject: Re: Stupid Question
To: Ken Nakata <kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu>
From: Rob Hagopian <rhagopia@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/14/1994 17:57:39
On Mon, 14 Nov 1994, Ken Nakata wrote:

>    If SoftFPU is installed, it will 1) change the Gestalt FPU type to 68881
>    and 2) (at least with v3.0x), install a Gestalt selector "FPUE". If the
>    selector FPUE is defined (the value is private), then SoftFPU is installed.
>    So........
>
> Then FPU detection on MacOS is not gonna work if SoftFPU is installed...

Well, it just needs to be modified to check for the FPUE selector...
anyone who has access to MacBSD (Internet) is going to have access to
SoftFPU 3.0x...

>    (and what does SoftFPU have to do with MacOS virtual memory?)
>
> Sorry, I might not have been clear enough.  What I meant was, maybe we
> should not be worried whether or not MacBSD boots with SoftFPU, since
> the users already have to be aware of incompatible extentions such as
> virtual memory setting and RAMDoubler.  SoftFPU will be another one if
> Booter passes FPU type code from Gestalt to the kernel.

Well, the Booter could also check for those and put up an error message...

| Rob Hagopian.           | FINGER me! (01/18) | Moon Over Miami |   Four   |
| rhagopia@terminator.rs. |GC 1.0.1: GU d -p+(-) c++++ !l u++ e/+| only get |
|          itd.umich.edu  |       m/- s/- !n h f? g+ w+ t-- r- y?|   four   |