Subject: Re: Stupid Question
To: None <rhagopia@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/14/1994 13:30:44
   Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:03:53 -0500 (EST)
   From: Rob Hagopian <rhagopia@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>

   On Mon, 14 Nov 1994, Ken Nakata wrote:
   > But what I'm concerned a little is whether or not Gestalt (sp?)
   > returns the correct information when SoftFPU is installed.  Does
   > anyone know if it does or not?  Maybe we should not be concerned
   > if SoftFPU is installed or not, since MacBSD cannot boot with
   > MacOS virtual memory turned on anyway.

   If SoftFPU is installed, it will 1) change the Gestalt FPU type to 68881
   and 2) (at least with v3.0x), install a Gestalt selector "FPUE". If the
   selector FPUE is defined (the value is private), then SoftFPU is installed.

Then FPU detection on MacOS is not gonna work if SoftFPU is installed...

   (and what does SoftFPU have to do with MacOS virtual memory?)

Sorry, I might not have been clear enough.  What I meant was, maybe we
should not be worried whether or not MacBSD boots with SoftFPU, since
the users already have to be aware of incompatible extentions such as
virtual memory setting and RAMDoubler.  SoftFPU will be another one if
Booter passes FPU type code from Gestalt to the kernel.

Ken