Subject: Re: ifconfig and power-off update
To: None <briggs@mail.vt.edu>
From: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@sfkaplan.student.amherst.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/12/1994 19:02:58
>> s=3
>> rafp->af_aifaddr=-2143262438
>> rafp->af_addreq=ae0
>> I'm guessing that it's the middle value which is fouling things up.
>
>Doubtful.  Is your IP number something like 128.64.x.y or something like
>that?

My IP number is 148.85.101.100, although that's obtained through a bootp server
on a VAX/VMS machine at 148.85.1.10.  As was pointed out to me by
mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu, the af_aifaddr field is not an address, and is almost
certainly not responsible for the tickling the VIA to turn my machine off.
Since the same command ("ifconfig sl0 inet sfkaplan.student.amherst.edu netmask
255.255.255.0") worked without a problem, it would be, as mycroft@gnu suggested,
something about information about ae0 being taken from the kernel.

So far, this behavior has occurred both with the distributed kernels and with a
kernel I compiled myself with Jeff's changes.  I'm going to try recompiling that
just in case I had screwed something up the first time, but that has been tried.

>Can you try a test kernel if I can slap one together?  It'll have a
>semi-recent version of Jeff's e-net driver, but some fixes to the
>interrupt handling code (which doesn't look like it's making allowances
>for the RBV, as you mentioned Brad P. and Lawrence K. had suggested).

If you want to try putting a kernel together yourself with whatever changes,
I'll be more than happy to try it out.  I'm dying to get this problem out of the
way so that we can work on getting the ethernet driver working.  Once I've got
that going, I think I'll be ready to switch over to MacBSD full time...

Scott
sfkaplan@amherst.edu