Subject: Queries
To: None <macbsd-development@netbsd.org>
From: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/11/1994 21:18:00
Could someone please respond to the following?

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 01:07:53 -0500
To: netbsd-comments@NetBSD.ORG
>From: macfitz@novell1.dept-med.pitt.edu (Mark D. Fitzsimmons)
Subject: MacBSD Installation Failure
Cc: macfitz@novell1.dept-med.pitt.edu (Mark D. Fitzsimmons)

Greetings-

Any assistance would be much appreciated.  Here's the short version:

* MacII ci 8MB, 7.1, 105Q internal, internal video
(also tried booting with 4MB, auto detect off)

* installed NetBSD1.0 on external syquest 270

* best case - hangs when the screen changes to generic (unix)
Displays "preserving 73360 bytes of netbsd symbol table", then stops.
Sometimes displays vertical bars, but a different set each time
(a repeating pattern about 6x across the screen)

The guide doesn't give much information about how to configure the
preferences beyond them being "sane", which refers to something unrelated
to reasonability if you program Macs.

There's a reference in the Installer guide about refering to the FAQ about
installing on a Syquest, but there's no mention of syquest by name in the
only faq I could find.  I also tried running from the internal hard drive -
failure.

A separate problem with the installation: the SIZE resource of the Mkfs
program is corrupt.  It needs to be removed with Resedit and the desktop
rebuilt before the program will run reliably because of memory allocation
problems.

The Install Utility seems to do a lot of disk thrashing.  Is there no way
to cache the file writing so that the directory updates are
deferred/batched?

I will probably really appreciate your efforts when I can get the machine
to boot with your operating system.  Thanks much.

Mark

Mark D. Fitzsimmons, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
  of Medicine