Subject: Re: BETA 0 installation success!
To: None <>
From: John D. Smerdon <>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 05/01/1994 23:07:44
I also upgraded to BETA-0 but didn't follow directions.

I unpacked all the files in /beta0 and then moved all of the directories to
/old except /dev and then moved all of the new directories to /.

I noticed the rc.distribution and but failed to copy as
fstab.  A cpin and cpout while running the MacOS Installer utility fixed

I have been using /dev/ser0 as the serial port.

The "shutdown -r now" usually ends up at the debugger prompt.  That is a
little irritating.  Is there documentation on the debugger commands?  Is
there a MacsBugs equivalent to IP PC and SC?

I rebuilt my kernel from the sun-lamp 4/24 sys.tar file and added second
slip and two PPP connections.  To build the kernel you also need updates to
the /compat/sunos/= (?) files because of syntax errors.

My kernel is available via anonymous ftp from

I really like the games! :-)

John D. Smerdon; Plymouth, Michigan; Contents are my opinion.
Internet:; UUCP: umcc!smerdon!jds