Subject: re: tar (was Re: gzip)
To: None <macbsd-development@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Joseph Z. Provo <crimson@WPI.EDU>
List: macbsd-development
Date: 11/07/1993 10:38:11
>  now: who is going to port gtar to the mac? :)
>
>There is already a public domain tar for the Mac, should be available
>in the info-mac archives on sumex-aim (and the mirror on wuarchive).
>It is based on John Gilmore's public domain tar, which I think was
>also the source material for GNU tar.

...but one of the major wins of gtar is the automagic hook for gzip;
thought this makes more sense in an *ix environment [saving keystrokes]
than in macOS [keystrokes? whazzat?]...

joe, wondering if my extremely kludged "internal" HD for me old mac2
    will work happily with the current kernel...
    ...and awaiting ANOTHER night when I can try to stuff the pieces onto
    disks to sneakernet home...