Subject: Re: PATH problem...
To: Michael Peters <sailor@oro.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: m68k
Date: 12/16/1996 20:35:51
NOTE: m68k@netbsd.org is NOT A MACBSD LIST! It is for all ports which
use 68k-based CPU's, so it also includes Atari, Amiga, sun3, hp300,
and x68k folks (plus maybe even more). For mac-specific questions, write
to port-mac68k@netbsd.org. I'm using lots of caps as a couple of folks
have done this lately. Is one of the FAQ's pointing folks to the wrong list?

>   Running several different applications that create shells of their own
> (eg su and dt) i've found that they change your PATH from the one that
> you have specified in either your .login or your rc files.  This is
> clearly visible when you do printenv just before and just after issuing
> either su or dt... does anyone have /any/ idea where these two (at least
> these two) programs are getting their PATH value from?  I've all but
> grepp'ed my entire hard drive, and I can't find it!

I don't really know where the path's coming from, but this change is
fairly common; it's not a NetBSD-specific thing. That's why I set
up my path in .cshrc. A number of situations will give you a non-login
shell. It will only have run .cshrc, not .login.  I think also when
you have your cron jobs run, the same thing happens (though that's a
vague memory).

So set your path in .cshrc and you'll be happy.

Why are you setting your path in your rc files?

Take care,

Bill