Subject: Re: '040 port
To: Philippe =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E9rard?= <inrockup@dialup.francenet.fr>
From: J May Home inspections <JMHI@laraby.tiac.net>
List: m68k
Date: 06/29/1995 16:23:12
On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Philippe =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E9rard?= wrote:

>         Hello
>
> >        Nope. Mac_BSD has not yet been (and probably never will be)
> >written for the 68040 or 68LC040 chips. There's no such thing as a linux
> >port for the whole motorola 680X0 series.
>
>         Linux is running pretty well on Amigas, even sometimes better than
> NetBSD which is harder to configurate, IMHO.
>
>         I find strange that there is no port of NetBSD for '040 Macs, as
> there are a lot of Quadra users and, IMHO again, it should be easier to
> port an un*x to the Mac than to the Amiga, as this last uses co-processors
> for nearly everything (display, sound, timers, etc...).

	This directly from the mac_bsd FAQ:

It definitely does *not* run on any 68040's.  That's mainly because
the '040's MMU is different from the '030 and '851.  The NetBSD/Amiga
group has working code for their '040's, so that's being integrated into
our code.  When will that be accomplished?  When it gets done. Also,
the SCSI chip is different on many of the '40 Macs, but that's not as
big of a problem.