Subject: Re: acroread error -- warning? -- on amd64
To: Steven M. Bellovin <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/26/2007 12:03:31
"Steven M. Bellovin" <> writes:
> When I run 'acroread' on amd64-current, I see the following message:
> (acroread:3651): Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 38 (Function not
> implemented)
> Acroread seems to run; I'm not sure if there's some missing
> functionality or if it's just a performance issue.  Regardless, I
> assume the problem is in the linux32 emulation.

I'm guessing the shmget is happening in the X code as part of the
shared memory extension.

It is almost certainly in the linux emulation stuff -- you might want
to ktrace the process and see what system call is erroring
out. Presumably it is shmget but it would be useful to nail it down.

Perry E. Metzger