Subject: Re: overriding MAKEDEV.tmpl
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/26/2007 01:35:04
On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 10:27:00AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I meant specifically the override-so-not-modified approach.

There seem to be a few instances in that Makefile already.

> In that case, independent from any considerations of what to commit
> back, you probably ought to be tracking your own sources in a VCS with
> NetBSD on vendor branch.

Yes, I do that already but I thought this one may have a more generic
use.  One of the good things about this approach is that you can have
multiple projects with differing requirements - something that is very
difficult to do at the moment without separate source trees.

> If there is already the notion of overriding files, program lists,
> etc. for making CDROMs (rather than having modifed files), then this
> seems fine.  I meant only to suggest that if this is the first instance
> of this flavor then stepping back to think of other approaches might be
> useful, because it feels like solving a problem by adding hooks when
> really what you are doing is modifying the sources for a custom build.
> The hooks can only go so far, and actual modifications are a much more
> general solution.

Well, that is why I thought I would ask for a sanity check here... if
I thought it was indispensible I would have just committed it :)

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: