Subject: Re: overriding MAKEDEV.tmpl
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/2007 16:39:42
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007, Brett Lymn wrote:
> I made a small change to etc/Makefile to allow the MAKEDEV.tmpl file
> to be overridden with a custom version.  This allows me to change the
> mix of device nodes created in /dev in the ramdisk image.  Is this
> worth committing?  or could I have done this another way?

Is this for a ramdisk image in which all the /dev nodes are created at
build time, or for one in which /dev is populated at boot time by init?
If the former, you should be able to increase the number of inodes in
the image.  If the latter, the number of inodes is calculated at boot
time so just adding extra disk nodes to MAKEDEV.local or to the "init"
target in MAKEDEV.tmpl should DTRT.

Either way, being able to override MAKEDEV in a custom image seems
useful.

--apb (Alan Barrett)